Monday, July 05, 2004

Stupid Loin Girding!

Time to get ready for another busy week.

Tomorrow, Lisa and I go to sign the stack of papers to make the new house ours. Well, technically, it won't be ours until all the fees are paid (ching), the papers are couriered over to the court house (ching) and I give them a cashier's check for the 20% down payment (cha-(infix)-CHING!). At least Lisa and I won't really have to sweat this part like many people do, but I still expect the blood to drain from both our faces when confronted with the reality of home and mortgage. Already, the amounts we're dealing with don't actually seem real to me. They're just numbers, like when Carl Sagan talked about the Milky Way galaxy containing "billions and billions of stars." You can't really comprehend it beyond the fact that, "Yup. That's a whole lotta stars."

Also, I won't know whether the other writer I've been working with on a big project at work will be there tomorrow or for the next three weeks...his wife's due date was last Friday, and she appeared to be poised to drop their first kid at any time. When that happens, he's taking three weeks off, then working part time for the next three weeks. We're both fortunate to be working for a company that has such an enlightened policy toward paternity leaves, but it also means I'll be handling the load for the six weeks. All I can say is, it's a good thing I hate being bored.

And finally, Lisa and I will want to move into the new place as soon as we can (we should get the keys on Friday). Luckily, as I told my half-brother Stuart, this time we can manage to do a "dream move," meaning we pay somebody to pack the stuff and we pay somebody to move the stuff. Meanwhile, Buddy will be vacationing at the beautiful "Howliday Inn" resort in exciting SE Portland, and Lisa and I will be downing margaritas. That oughtta take the sting out of the living hell that normally is "moving."

I also would like to finally get the "frinkenstein.com" page up and running at least in some form -- featuring abundant links to fun stuff and the AMAZING "Andrew's rotating pelvis page, with 3D CAT scans of my pre-op pelvis -- but I don't know if my loins are ready for THAT much girding. "ow Ow OWW!"

No comments: